Popcorn Time is an online application to stream premium content available on the popular web portals like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Rather than paying a subscription fee, you can access all the content on the app for free. We all know what kind of legal issue we might face for using such service so we will skip that debate and come straight to the solution to install the app on your Android TV. Before we go straight to the solution lets discuss the app in detail (skip to download section if you are using this app for a long time):-
Popcorn Time is a collection of multiple API that was put together in a single software. It is not the work of a single developer or a company rather many individual developers and designers work hard to create such software. The software works similar to the torrent client where you can download and stream movies and TV Shows.
The application fetches data from different BitTorrent clients and organizes it in sequential order. The application has an inbuilt video player that can stream videos in different formats. Even the interface of the application is designed similar to the popular streaming portal.
Currently, the stable version of the application is available for android phone but the app is not TV compatible so to run the application of TV we have to follow the workaround given below:-
Download and Install Popcorn Time on Android TV
To Install Popcorn Time on TV we have to configure your Android TV first and install some applications.
Enabling Unknown Sources
Popcorn Time is a third party application so we have to configure your TV settings first to install the application.
- Switch on your Android TV and go to Settings.
- In the settings page scroll down and select Personal Tab.
- In the Personal Tab menu tap on Security (On some TV the tab might be different like Security & Restriction)
- Enable Unknown Sources.
Installing File Explorer
To locate the downloaded APK file on your Android TV you need a file explorer. We recommend you to ES File Explorer on the play store.
Installing Sideload Launcher
Android Applications are designed to run on android phones and tablets. Since TVs are recently added in the android OS bucket list many applications are not properly optimized to run on it. A workaround has been launched for this problem years ago and its name is Sideload Launcher. Before you run popcorn time on PC you have to install a sideload launcher on your TV.
Install Popcorn Time on Android Phone
Once the above preparations are finished its time to install popcorn time on your TV:-
- Browse the URL and download the application on your computer or phone.
- In case if you found the fork version of the application for your TV download it otherwise download an android version.
- Once downloaded upload the APK file on the cloud storage services like Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Open ES File Explorer and go to Network -> Cloud.
- On the top right side of the screen tap on the NEW button.
- Choose the cloud storage service where you upload the APK file and sign-in to that account.
- Once you sign-in all the uploaded data will be displayed. Choose the popcorn time app and then choose the Install button.
- Wait for the installation to be finished and run the application. Enjoy the content but use a VPN service to download or watch it.
For more information on Download and Run Popcorn Time App on Android TV stay updated to this page.